No 16 - ELIN was built by the Hunslet Engine Co. in December 1899 (works No. 705), and delivered to the Penrhyn State
Quarry at Bethesda in North Wales. The last of a batch of four ‘Small Quarry’ class 0-4-0 saddletanks, these 6-ton locos were able to work the 1’ 10¼” gauge tramways on the higher levels of the quarry. ELIN
took on a different appearance in 1939 when a new boiler was fitted, supplied by traction engine builder’s Marshall of Gainsborough. To accommodate this larger boiler a new saddletank was fabricated at
the quarry and the footplate was extended over the rear buffer. Due to a recession in the state industry, ELIN, along with other locos was laid up in 1954.
ELIN was purchased for preservation in July 1962 by J. Burdett of Louth, restored and regauged to
2ft, before going to the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway in 1969. The loco saw little use here and when the railway closed it came to Yaxham in October 1986. Following two years of occasional
steaming, ELIN was stripped down in January 1989 for boiler repairs and a general overhaul back to the original Penrhyn black livery.
ELIN saw regular use on passenger trains, until January 1997, when it was again stripped down,
this time for a new firebox. Work is currently under way to replace the firebox with a new shorter version, reducing the overall length of the boiler to near its original length. This has allowed the
removal of the frame extensions, reducing the overall length of the loco to its original size.