Yaxham station was built by the Norfolk Railway Company, opening for goods in December 1846, and to passengers in
February 1847. The line passed through several ownership’s: Eastern Counties Railway; Great Eastern Railway; London & North Eastern Railway, and finally British Railways.
The station Closed to goods in 1964 and in
June 1965 became an unstaffed halt, the track was singled and the signal box closed. Passengers trains were finally withdrawn in October 1969, but goods traffic passed through until the line closed in 1989.
The station’s survival owes much to the late Mr D.C. Potter who took over the tenancy of the buildings, thus saving them from
destruction. Yaxham’s first narrow gauge railway line laid by Mr Potter in the goods yard in 1967 for his Hunslet 0-4-0ST CACKLER. In 1969 the loco was moved to the Yaxham Park
Light Railway (YPLR), which once ran for over ½ a mile in meadows beyond the station.
Other locomotives included THE COFFEE POT
in its original form, a pair of hefty Motor Rail diesels (nos. 4906 of 1934 and 7955 of 1945), also a small diesel loco converted from a Lansing-Bagnall road tractor.
The 24th December 1994 saw the arrival of
two standard gauge diesel locomotives to Yaxham from Dereham by the Mid Norfolk Railway Preservation Trust which became its home base until 1997, and formed part of the reintroduction
of passenger services on the Dereham to Wymondham line.